Saturday, December 21, 2013

CHAI INFUSED CINNAMON APPLE TARTS WITH GINGERSNAP GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST



In a few days it will be Christmas!!! The holidays have approached without the slightest hesitation. It is so easy to be swept up in the commotion of the season. There are so many lists to check off, presents to buy, and parties to go to. Next thing you know, it is Christmas day and you are asking yourself, "where did the time go?" I think that this is often the case through out the whole year. We live for the next moment, the next meeting we have to go to, anxiously awaiting for the weekend to arrive. What's happening though, is that we are missing the tiny miracles unfolding in this present moment. My Dad taught me many important lessons growing up but one that I find to be truly important is to "Live in the moment." Doing so is incredibly hard and something that I struggle with the most. I am either worrying about the future or obsessing and overplaying the past in my mind. I remember being a child and my Dad would ask me to meditate with him. I would watch him set up our pillows in my parents walk in closet, I followed his lead as he precisely went into his sitting position and allowed his gaze to become soft in front of him. We would sit there for what felt like an eternity. I would secretly look over at him to see if his position had changed or if he looked as restless as I felt. He sat there unchanged. I loved when he would invite me to meditate with him and even though I found it frustrating and difficult at times, it taught me an invaluable lesson. 

So may we all enjoy every second of this holiday season, moment for moment. Cherish this time with loved ones. Take a moment to stop, look around, be grateful and proud with all that life has blessed you with. 




When I am feeling as though my mind is a monkey, swinging from tree to tree, I turn to my two loves. Baking and painting. Today I am going to share both. 

There are so many aspects of fall/winter that I love. Apples being at the top of my list and chai being another. I drink chai throughout the whole year but there is something about drinking it in the cold months that make me close my eyes and take in the season. The crust I made with homemade gluten free gingersnap graham crackers crushed up with dates, brown rice syrup and chai. This whole dessert just makes you want to curl up by the fire and indulge in the awesomeness of the holiday season. 




CHAI INFUSED CINNAMON APPLE TARTS WITH GINGERSNAP GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST  / Makes 4 mini tarts

For the Crust

Graham crackers, recipe found here
4 dates
3 Tbsp brown rice syrup
5 Tbsp chai tea

For the Filling

3 small apples, diced
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1 cup + 3 Tbsp chai tea
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. honey

Directions


Preheat oven to 350*


Boil one cup of water, take off heat and steep 3 bags of chai tea (covered) for 15 minutes.


Make the graham crackers and once cool, put them in a food processor. Pulse a few times to break up the crackers. Add in the dates, brown rice syrup and 5 Tbsp. of the chai tea. Pulse until well combined and mixture sticks together. Grease mini tart pans with some coconut oil and press in a few tablespoons of the crust into each tart pan. 


Mix the chia seeds with 3 Tbsp of the chai tea and let sit until it forms a gel.


Cut apples into chunks and put in saucepan with the remaining amount of chai tea, honey and cinnamon. Let simmer until apples are slightly tender. Drain any liquid. Miix the apples with the chia gel. Pour the apple filling into the mini tart pans. 


Bake for about 15 minutes.


ENJOY 


May you have joyous holiday surrounded by those you love <3


Love,

Kristen, Mark and Kiki


My other love is painting. Here are some of my pieces that I want to share with you <3







No comments:

Post a Comment