Friday, November 1, 2013


A BEETUTIFUL SMOOTHIE






Sometimes, OK actually all the time, I go a little crazy when grocery shopping. I just get so excited, seeing the beautiful variety of fruits and veggies. They are all calling my name, asking me to create something magically delicious. Who am I to deny them of fulfilling their dream!? Due to the fact that every week I become the mother to an overabundance  of veggies and fruit, I make smoothies. I used to have a negative association with smoothies. I saw them as liquid sugar. There are a lot of unhealthy impostors out there. Be warned and stay away. What they lack in nutrition, they make up for in sugary sweetness. A good smoothie should be filled with vegetables and fruits. You can get so creative! Throw in some nuts, cinnamon, vanilla, bee pollen, dried herbs and flowers and top it off with some nut milk. The good thing about smoothies is that they are super easy and quick to make. Perfect for when you are in a rush in the morning and do not have time to make breakfast. Put some bananas in your smoothie for a nice post workout treat. Smoothies are also great if you want to do a gentle detox. The blender already broke down the food. This gives your digestive system a little break so it can absorb all those readily available nutrients.

The main star in this recipe is the beet. Beets are so versatile. Roast them, juice them, eat them raw. Today I decided to put them in my smoothie. Beets are an amazing detoxifier. They contain a pigment called betalins. Betalins stimulate enzymes in your body to latch onto toxins, neutralize and excrete them. Pretty awesome, huh?! 





A BEETUTIFUL SMOOTHIE / MAKES 2 LARGE GLASSES OR 4 SMALL

1 small beetroot raw or 1/2 a large, cut into pieces

2 handfuls frozen cherries
1 handful frozen blueberries
2 fresh or frozen figs
1/2 banana
2 Tbsp. dried goji berries
2 Tbsp. chia seeds
1 inch fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups almond milk

Throw all ingredients in the blender and blend. You may have to add a little more almond milk, you could also use water instead or do both! You make the rules :)






No comments:

Post a Comment