Sunday, November 3, 2013

CARROT ORANGE AND CORNMEAL MUFFINS




I LOVE baking. Every Sunday I usually bake something. Today I saw the 5lbs of carrots in my fridge and knew that they needed some attention. I had one orange left over that needed to be used, so I thought, why not make muffins. I really wanted to pair the carrots and oranges with a cornmeal base. I was nervous because I wasn't sure how all the flavors would go together, but let me tell you, they came out AMAZING! 


When looking at your food intake, it is important that you have a variety of color. For this recipe, the color orange is featured. Orange colored foods are shown to be the most protective against Cardiovascular Disease. Carrots contain certain phytonutrients that have been shown to inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells and support our lower digestive tract. 


Now onto oranges. When I used to waitress, I was always over at the bar, eating the sliced oranges meant for drink garnishes. I always knew that oranges were good for you. It wasn't until recently that I discovered the magic in an orange. Oranges are packed with Vitamin C. This antioxidant disarms free radicals in your body. They prevent damage from occurring inside and outside of the cell. Intracellular damage to the DNA results in cancer. Cell protection is extremely important in the digestive system which has a high turnover of cells. Free radical damage also causes inflammation, which leads to arthritis and cholesterol to oxidize, which causes artery blockage. Once again, I am amazed at natures goodness. 




I have to say it again, these muffins are ..... delicious. I ate one right out of the oven (which is often the case with me) with some melted ghee. Then maybe another one after they cooled :) The nice thing about these muffins is that they freeze easily. So get in that kitchen, show your body some love and eat a muffin... or two!





CARROT ORANGE AND CORNMEAL MUFFINS / MAKES 12


Adapted from My New Roots


Dry Ingredients


2 Cups Spelt Flour

3/4 Cup Cornmeal
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt

Wet Ingredients


1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp. Fresh Orange Juice

1/3 Cup Ghee
1/3 Cup Maple Syrup
2 Tbsp. Nut Butter
zest of 1/2 an Organic Orange
1 Cup graded Organic Carrots

Preheat oven 350*F. 


Mix all of the wet ingredients, except for the carrots in a medium bowl. Whisk until combined.


In a separate bowl combine all of the dry ingredients. 


Add the wet ingredients with the dry and add in the graded carrots. Stir batter in as few strokes as possible. 


Spoon the muffin mixture into prepared muffin tins. Bake for about 15-20 min. 




These muffins are KiKi tested .... KiKi approved



Information resource: http://www.whfoods.com








No comments:

Post a Comment