Monday, November 18, 2013

CHERRY ALMOND GRANOLA




I love to snack. I constantly find myself walking into the kitchen, seeing what I can get my hands into. My mom would always tell me that I am like a bird, always picking at something. I know a part of her was rejoicing when I moved out for the last time. Her days of finding half eaten food, placed delicately back in its box/wrapper were over. I was saving it for later! :)  

Granola is one of my favorite snacks. I always keep a huge glass jar of it in my fridge, and as soon as it is gone, I am making my next batch. Granola is so versatile. Not just in what you can throw in it, but also how you can eat it. I mix it with yogurt, have it with nut milk, sprinkle some on top of a smoothie. The other morning I sauteed cranberries and apples and sprinkled them with granola. Endless opportunities.






CHERRY ALMOND GRANOLA / Makes around 7 cups

4 Cups Rolled Oats

1 Cup Almonds
1/2 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
1 Cup Dried Cherries
1 Tbsp. Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Cardamom
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Ginger
1/3 Cup Coconut Oil
3 Tbsp. Maple Syrup

Preheat oven to 325* F


In a large bowl, combine the oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and ginger.


In a saucepan on low heat, melt the coconut oil and add the maple syrup. Stir to combine. 


Slowly pour your coconut oil/maple syrup mixture over your oat mix. Stir until all of the oats are nicely coated so that your granola looks wet.


Spread granola onto a baking sheet and place on the center rack in the oven. Your granola should take about 30 minutes to cook, but be sure that you stir every 10 minutes. 


Pull the granola out of the oven and stir in the cherries and shredded coconut.


Allow the granola to cool before placing it in a container.









    

No comments:

Post a Comment