Wednesday, November 6, 2013


MIXED GREENS, AVOCADO, KIMCHI AND EGG SALAD


Driving up our lane today, I noticed I really needed to cut the grass. Hopefully, one last time before winter. You see, this has been quite an eventful year in the grass cutting sector for us. In May, Mark and I moved into an old farmhouse. It sits on about 2 acres, with about 100 acres of farmland and woods around us. I grew up on a farm so you would think that I would know how to cut grass. Truth be told, I had never cut grass a day in my life. Mark works a lot, so the yard work was in my hands. All we had was a push mower so my Dad came over and showed me how to use it. I thought to myself, this is actually fun! I put on my headphones, listened to some tunes and got exercise. Well, the fun was over after 2 weeks. It took me 4 hours to cut our yard and in the humid Maryland summer air, with the sheep flies eating me for lunch. It. Was. Not. Fun!!! Finally, we were given a riding mower. I was very nervous using it for the first time. Mark showed me how to use it one evening and I thought, ok, I can do this. I have to tell you now that we have a graveyard in our backyard. The graves are dated back to the 1800's and are the original owners of the farm. Well, me, the lawn mower and the gravestone got into a bit of an accident. There is just SO much to pay attention to when cutting the grass. I have to make sure I am going in a straight line, I have to make sure the blades are lined up AND I have to keep my eyes forward! I guess I am not the best at multi tasking because I ran straight into the gravestone. The lawn mower wasn't happy with me because she decided not to work anymore. It was back to pushing the lawn until we could get the other one fixed. 

While I was cutting the grass today, all I could think about were eggs. A delicious free range soft boiled egg on a salad. I am a big believer that if you listen to your body, it will tell you what it needs. I spent too many years suppressing that inner voice. Soft boiled eggs with the beautiful golden yolk oozing out once opened. 

The runny yolk of an egg contains lecithin. Did you know that your brain is made up of 30% lecithin!? Which means that eating soft boiled or poached eggs is brain fuel, helping to enhance memory and increasing mental activity. 



MIXED GREENS, AVOCADO, KIMCHI AND EGG SALAD

2 Cups Mixed Greens
1/2 Avocado, sliced
1/4 Cup Kimchi
1 Egg, soft boiled
1 Tbsp. Toasted Sesame Oil

Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Drop the egg (or eggs if you would like more than one) in the boiling water. Set timer for 6 minutes. After the 6 minutes are up, place the egg in ice water to stop the cooking.

Arrange the mixed greens, sliced avocado and kimchi in a bowl. Drizzle with toasted sesame seed oil. Place the egg on top of the salad, slice it open and enjoy! This is a very simple salad, but very delicious!










No comments:

Post a Comment