Saturday, May 3, 2014

BERRY COCONUT ICE CREAM



If you could be any food, what would you be? I think I want to be ice cream. There are a myriad of ice cream flavors & combinations. There are no limits, only endless possibilities. I suppose that is what I look for in life. I never want to be limited to what I can do, who I can be. 

To celebrate infinite possibilites, I made berry coconut ice cream. This recipe is refined sugar free, full of flavor and delicately sweet. 



I would also like to rejoice the beautiful fact that when you look out the window you see green!! The beauty in mother nature waking up after a long winter is breathtaking. Since moving back to the country, I have realized something. The beauty in the moment. For the past 7 years I have been living in various cities. Now my house sits next to a pond, surrounded by fields and forests. In the evenings I watch as the deer inch closer and closer from the trees. I listen to the frogs by the pond. The music of mother nature and my mind. They get along so well together. I have found my place in the world. 


Please go....embrace this ice cream, embrace this moment and be amazed by all that lies before you. 


BERRY COCONUT ICE CREAM / makes around 4 cups

Berry "Jam"

1 cup strawberries, diced
3/4 cup blackberries
1/4 cup honey
3 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cardamom
pinch of vanilla

Combine all ingredients except for the honey into a saucepan. Bring ingredients to a slow simmer & cover for about 10 minutes. Uncover and stir a few times. On low heat, add honey and mix until thickened. Turn off the heat and allow to cool and thicken some more.

Berry coconut ice cream

berry jam (recipe above)
1 can coconut milk
1/3 cup sheep yogurt
1/8 cup raw blue agave 
juice of 1/2 lemon

In a food processor add coconut milk, yogurt, lemon, agave and half of the berry jam until combined. Stir in the remaining berry jam. Chill in the fridge for about an hour. Pour mixture into your ice cream maker for about 25 minutes or however long your machine suggests. Top with shredded coconut and chopped nuts. 



All my love,
Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment